Tuesday, June 2

Is happily ever after only real in fairy tales

Our society has become so dilluted with the idea of love, through movies, tv, and the media, that I'm afraid we may have set our own expectations too high. Things rarely ever work out the way they do in the movies: a boy and a girl stumble upon each other and experience the classic "meet-cute," it's love at first sight, they date without fighting and find they are perfect for each other, soul mates, he proposes in some utterly romantic way, they have a big, white, expensive, beautiful outdoor wedding, most likely along the beach, and then they live happily ever after.

But how likely is that really to happen in American society today? Less than 1% I'm sure. The divorce rate has been hovering around 50% for the past several years, and that's not good news for us single folks, or the married ones. So you're telling me, that I have a one in two chance of not living happily ever after? And if you think about it, its probably less still, because those people that are married and who don't divorce, how happy are they? And when I mean happy I don't mean you and your husband both work 9-5 jobs, have 2.5 kids, and a white picket fence in the suburbs (is that still even the American dream anymore)....

When I look down the road and picture myself just ten years from now, my idea of happiness is quite different from all of that- but its real. I could see myself living in some big, busy, polluted city in an apartment that is adorable by my standards, but might be a little small and dirty to others, but it suits me just fine. I work at a job that I absolutely love where I am able to make a tangable difference in the world, where I am able to better humanity and spread love. Maybe I've meet that someone special to spend the rest of my life with at that point, but maybe I haven't. There's no rush here. With my loving family, great friends, and a God who's always there, I could never be lonely. I don't need a guy to make me happy. I mean, don't get me wrong, I do desperately want to fall in love with a tall, dark handsome man who treats me like a princess, but just in case my fairy tale never comes true, I will still be happy....

I still don't thing, despite what our society reflects in statisitcs and heartbreaks, that we ought to give up on the idea of happily ever after, true love, and soulmates. It is out there. Maybe only a lucky few will ever find it, but I know that it is. If I search my brain I can conjure up a few friends and people I know who found their prince charmings and who live that live filled with love, joy, and happiness. So to all you who have love, congradulations, and to those of us who haven't yet, good luck. May the force be with you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment