Sunday, May 24

Long Beach Island


Here I am again. Back home to LBI. LBI will always be a second home to me, even when my Grandma's house is gone (or, no longer "our" home). I've spent every summer here since I was born. It's more familiar to me than College Park, and just as familiar if not more than my town in North Carolina. I just love it here.

The four block walk to the ocean, the seagulls squaking at all hours, the starry sky, the smell of salt water, the sunset over the bay, the old hammock that is impossible to balance, bike rides, the wharf area. Everything here has been good memories.

And sadly, realisticly, this is going to be my last summer here. So i really should, and really do, want to make the best of it. I thought last summer would be my last, that I would have some snazzy summer internship lined up in DC, but I don’t. And that’s Ok. Because I love spending my summers here and having the chance to spend time with my grandma. This is usually the only time I get to see here, so I really value our time together. And I’ve learned to really appreciate all her stories of the good ol days and her words of wisdom. If you think about it, few people in the world ever purely love you. I mean, sure, you will have lots of boy/girl friends that say they “love” you and many friends who care about you and “love” you and your parents will always “love” you no matter what you do, but how genuine and real is that love when it comes down to it?

I can without a doubt tell that my Nana is one of the few people that will ever genuinely, purely love and care about me, and I am so thankful for that and for our friendship.

But back to LBI.

It’s definitely a big contrast to what I’ve been used to the past 8 or so months, living in College Park. It’s very family oriented here- and in CP because of the college town the family unit is basically non-existent. It’s very quite here. It’s very carefree, laid back and not stressful- which I am so relieved about. It’s completely the opposite of any big city or metropolitan area- no high rise buildings or chain restaurants or companies. It’s simple, that’s what the island is. And I cherish it’s simplicity.

I should really take advantage of that- and the free time I have away from school work and stress and other obligations- to discover new things. How many times in your life do you really have the opportunity to do that. I want to take up photography, and pursue it as a hobby on a normal basis. I have dabbled in it a few times before, but I have never quite gotten used to it and developed a skill for it.

Also, my bookshelf is staked with books upon books and countless magazines that are still to be read. Instead of sacrificing sleep to stay up watching terrible and boring movies until 3 am and then wanting to sleep till noon the next day, I should catch up on reading. Make something out of that free time when my insomnia is at its worst.

And now is the best time to get back in shape and start running again. Running on the beach is no easy task- it’s exhausting, but so fun! M oal is to get back to the level I was at at the beginning of freshman year where I can run 6 miles without stopping.

So I’ll leave with this. If you make one big purchase this summer, I encourage you to buy a good hammock. I really want to, probably won’t cause I’m saving my money for future travels and what not, but really, nothing is better than sitting and completely relaxing and taking a mid-afternoon nap in a hammock in the shade. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment