Friday, February 6

So, I'm filling out a registration form for something and it asks all the usual information: name, gender, address, school, major, graduation year,etc. But I get down to the bottom and see the question "Intended Career Field" and it totally just threw me off. I realize, and this never occured to me, that I have no idea what I "intend" to have as my "career." When I tell people I am majoring in journalism, they automatically assume I want to be a journalist, but I would say that is false. I love to write, and that's about it. I've discovered the hard way, through many articles and late late nights, that being a reporter is not for me. I don't enjoy that stress, that level of dedication to the press. Instead, I just like to write. Poetry mostly, maybe a few short stories here and there, and hopefully novels one day down the road. But unfortunately, these days one cannot really make a living off of rhyming words and prose. Darn. I raelly had my hopes up. :)
So what now? Well, you know, I'm actually not worried about it at all. I know that God has a plan for me and I know that it's a good one. If for some odd reason his plan is for me to be a journalist, then it won't be easy and I won't always enjoy it, but I'll do it. If his plan is to live in Africa and do whatever I can do help those people, to love on them, and to let them hear the good news, then I would be so excited to do so. If his plan is to work for a non-profit, cool. If it's too start an intentional community so I can reach out to my neighbors and help them and love on them, then I would be all the more ready for it.
Bottom line is, I have no idea what the Lord has in store for me. My future truly is a blank slate, and the Lord holds the white stub of chalk with which he uses to draw out my life story.

No comments:

Post a Comment