Sunday, February 15

My pumpkin

There's a pumpkin poised on my kitchen table--
it's been sitting there for several months.
The orange brings a pop of bright, warm color
to the drabness of the room.
It was a present from my father
to welcome the fall and ring in October.
And now that spring is around the corner
my jack-o-latern friend seems out of place.
He's lonely there, next to the Valentine's roses,
but I can't bear to move him:
off the table, out the door, down the stairs,
and throw him into the dumpter.
It would be such a shame.
He reminds me of my favorite season:
the coolness that is refreshing after the heat of summer,
the falling, crinkly leaves,
the thought and hope of snow,
Thanksgiving and family.
All are good memories that I don't want to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment