Friday, February 19

Gonna try to make this update brief...

The past two days have been a complete whirlwind.

Ok, so yesterday. It started out like any other, maybe a bit more sleepy than others, and I skipped statistics, but I have a feeling both of those are going to become a regular thing. But I had the afternoon free, to spend to myself, which was wonderful. I rarely enjoy my freetime, but I did. During that free time I did something important, I made a list. It's posted below and its purpose is to help myself become a better person, to assist me in reaching my full potential because I beleive I can be a strong, beautiful, loving woman one day if I just reach inside of myself to find what it is that truly makes me, ME. So here's my list (which is printed and hangs infront of me on my desk for inspiration):

Ambitions:

-choose reading over tv

-eat healthy & drink lots of water

-smile more & remember to appreciate the little things

-love: everyone & at all times

-write daily

Weekly goals:

-run at least twice a week

-keep up with the news

-read a new poem & memorize one of its lines

-call nana

Monthly goals:

-do something to make someone else happy

-try something new

-go on an adventure

-make a new friend

additions: .......

So there's that. And I've already made some additions/contributions to my list thus far:

(it's turned out to be just a random bit of thoughts concerning my list....)

-I've realized that smiling more just makes you happy. Even if your not particularly happy. Just smile, and soon that feeling will spread to the rest of your body and warm your heart even on the coldest of windy, winter days.
-When you take notice of the little things, like the setting sun and the purple painted clouds in late afternoon dusk, no only do you become content, you feel loved and you experience God.
-It's not going to be easy to love at all times. And I will often fail, but i need to acknowledge those failure in order to improve and to reasses and to try again, and this time love harder.
-I love writing and I'm SO excited to do it more often- though I realize with everything going on it's going to get hard when I'm crunched on time and stressed with studying.
-I'm not excited to read the news, but I feel as a college student I should be obligated to know what's going on in the world.
-I finally decided what to give up for Lent: TV/movies (ie- choose reading/praying instead of mindless reality shows) and buying things I don't need (ie- clothes, shoes, accessories, etc... because I tend to me a shopaholic.....)
-Praying daily (comes naturally, but...) will help me grow closer to God, which I am so excited to do!
-An addition to my list is to do something spontaneous once a month, which I did today, but striking up a conversation with a stranger on the Metro- something I would never normally do, but I've realized I really LOVE talking to strangers- and which I actually also did last night in the diner during late night when I invented the "Flannel High-Five", which obviously entails high-fiving anyone you see in flannel, and then I demonstrated my shouting flannel high-five and high-fiving some random kid in flannel walking past my chair (awkward!). :)
-Making one new friend a month will not be easy either (good thing February's friend has already been made!). Actually, maybe it won't be that hard after all.

So that's that for rambling. Back to yesterday. At Friend time before The Gathering I had a great time- I just love how God always reminds me how blessed I am, and I am so thankful to have such amazing friends - not to mention funny ones. You know you've got it good when the friends you're with can make you laugh. And I'm talking about them not trying and you laughing naturally. That's what real friends are.

And then The Gathering itself was great last night. I don't want to go into too much detail (yet) about everything that happened, but here's to things that went down:
1) God presented me with an opportunity to follow his calling and to serve him. (That's all I can say about this right now, but more to come for sure soon!!!) Oh- and it's completely crazy when you actually the Holy Spirit in you urging you to do something!
2) John's message last night was about allowing and relying on the holy spirit inside of you to fight the war for you, to give you the strength to stand and not give in to temptation. And it was just an amazing message that hit home for me in some ways and it just reminded me that I am not alone- that I've got GOD on my side. Like the lyrics to a worship song: And if my God is for me, than what could stand against?....

OK so that was just part of yesterday. No for today. To make it short. Really short. I had an interview, or so I thought, this morning, but I get there and it's basically just an orientation- SO I GOT THE JOB!!!!! And I am just beside myself with excitment because for the first time I feel like this field of work could actually be something I could make a career out of. The whole time I was there i couldn't wipe this stupid smile off my face cause I was so happy and excited to be there! More on that later as well.

Quote of the day:
"Cherish your solitude. Take trains by yourself to places you have never been. Sleep out alone under the stars. Learn how to drive a stick shift. Go so far away that you stop being afraid of not coming back. Say no when you don't wand to do something. Say yes if your instincts are strong, even if everyone around you disagrees. Decide whether you want to be liked or admired. Decide if fitting in is more important than finding out what you're doing here. Believe in kissing." -Eve Ensler, author and playwriter

No comments:

Post a Comment